Monday, May 9, 2011

..lather. wait thirty minutes. rinse.

My first haircare post. I've obviously been slacking. I have been somewhat stressing about my hair with the Israel trip just around the corner. I have been dying my hair almost-black for some time now, and decided to try letting my natural hair color grow back in.. which is a boring-ish light ash brown. I have allowed about two inches of roots through so far but finally lost patience. My biggest worry is my roots becoming naturally sun bleached from the beaches of Tel Aviv.. oy vey! Nothing could look worse than blondish roots with black hair.


Meanwhile, I have been observing the new frenzy over mousse hair dye. It claims to be no-drip, which is super important to me because I rent, and my landlord is fabulous enough to have built me a gorgeous bathroom with upscale fixtures that just wouldn't look as nice adorned in dark stains.

To keep it short and simple, the dye worked wonderfully.. it is by far the easiest hair dye I've ever used.. completely fool-proof, and the usual stains on the forehead and ears washed easily off in the shower. Traditionally I'm left without the ability to wear a ponytail for days. My only qualm is that the included conditioner actually made my hair feel dry.. skip it. Use whatever you have left from the last one, or a regular conditioner, liberally. When rinsing, pre-conditioner, my hair felt healthier than it ever has, and absolutely lacked the straw feeling, which is always a familiar one after dying.


The color I used was #41, "Iced Dark Brown," a steal at just $7.97 at Wal-Mart. The color is a great deep brown, almost black, with a hint of burgundy. The photo doesn't do it justice.. the red you see appears to be uneven, but that's actually from the light, reflecting on the color. Although my hair was light brown on top and black on the bottom, the color came out completely even. Effortless.

Next, I thought I should share a great bargain find.. at Kmart of all places. Yes. Kmart. Before my recent Serbia-Croatia-Austria trip, I purchased a Paul Mitchell hair care travel kit, which had four slightly-larger-than-travel-size bottles of goodies; shampoo, conditioner, something else I can't quite remember, and hair spray. At $15.00 it was a splurge, but I talked myself into it. By the time I got home, I was feeling a heap of buyer's remorse, so I returned it, and ended up spending the money on a ton of jelly beans. Anyways. I ended up using the cheap shampoo from the hotels, which, for some reason, was "shampoo, conditioner, body wash" in one. Strange. And it didn't work well for any one of those three purposes. I won't be making that mistake again.

Because.. today, I was at Kmart, and they had a similar kit by Bumble & Bumble. I faintly remember glancing at this on the shelf, and immediately looking away due to the $33.00 price tag. No, not a scrivener's error. The kit was much smaller than its Paul Mitchell counter-part, so it was not happening. Until today.. There it was on the shelf, on sale for $9.00. Woooo! This great little kit comes with two-ounce bottles of Bumble & Bumble's "cult faves," including Creme de Coco Shampoo and Conditioner, Styling Creme (similar to a leave-in conditioner), and Styling Lotion, which is recommended for use on dry hair, pre-heat styling. All essentials for the heat-ridden Israel weather. Love.

Better head there to grab your kit, but stay away from the Riverhead location.. I plan on cleaning out their supply as soon as I get paid again.

Stay tuned for a future post about hairdos in the courtroom. That will take some serious reflection.