Thursday, June 17, 2010

A blog newer than my newest pair of heels.. but only by a few hours.


So many of you know that I left a tres glam marketing career to pursue a law degree. Trading fashion and makeup for casebooks and study guides wasn't easy, but it had to be done. Now, the most stylish part of my day includes matching my highlighter to my blouse. I soon realized I wasn't the only one in need of a bit more style in my life. While "anything goes" in the classroom, from sweat suits to business suits, I try to look my best, which helps me feel my best and do my best.

Unfortunately, some of my fave ensembles include bright colors, endless embellishments and retro patterns, which aren't technically "law school friendly." Thankfully, much of my wardrobe is black and white essential pieces that can go from the class room to happy hour quicker than the bartender can pour a Stella. And jewelry is key. And shoes are the main event.

I've struggled this past year with the idea of blending my career past, with my career future. It all came about when I had to ruthlessly delete years of blood, sweat and tears from my resume, because the work I had done was basically irrelevant for my legal resume. So.. when talking to one of my best girlfriends (you know who you are) from school about summer swimwear, specifically, mix-and-match prints, she happened to mention that she loves how I know "what to put together." Days later, another friend asked me what on earth she should wear to a party that indicated a dress code of "casual chic." I used to assume people just asked because I'm clearly a shopaholic.. but they were on to something.

It came about as fast as the urge for a new short haircut.. Visions of style-deprived women flooded my head.. You've seen them. The women in Aerosoles, with pantsuits that have elastic waistlines. They are everywhere. They are in law, in politics, in public interest. I may never end up with a fancy fashion consulting career with every female attorney in my little black (patent leather) book. And while most (if not all of them) will never read my blog, in the very least I can impart my advice, opinions, and shopping tips, so that I can prevent my Touro girls from ending up like that ten years from now.

I took a chance on Tuesday, abandoning the advice we've all been given at school, and wore my favorite new heels (photo above) to Nassau County Family Court. I was a bit nervous, imagining the judge pointing at me and screaming at me to leave her court room. But I had to follow my heart, and my intuition. When I arrived, saw, and was introduced to the most fabulous female lawyer I've ever seen in my life. She was the epitome of what I strive to be, and I can't wait until I have the iPhone next month, so I can grab a shot of her for the blog next time she's there.. In the meantime, I was so glad I wasn't wearing boring shoes when I met her.. what a disaster that would have been..

Some style lessons are timeless. But I've come to learn that the greatest accessory is a J.D. degree. Fierce.