Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Don't even get me started..


Ok, get me started. (Isn't that why we're here?) First and foremost I should note that at no time am I taking photos in the courtroom, or any restricted areas. All photographs are taken in public areas of the courthouse (although not necessarily with the consent of all "soles" involved..). Today was a perfect day for a blog post. As I was observing a settlement conference slash negotiation session, I became all too aware of the shoe issues around the room.. Un. Believable.

As the blog is called "Shoes I Wear to Court," let's start with moi. The picture indicates I'm wearing my fave navy pantsuit, which I almost always pair with my royal blue ruffled blouse and gold, nine-strand necklace. My navy patent pumps give me serious Barbie-foot, which I wasn't in the mood for today, and they were too tall to be worn with these pants anyways. Thus, I opted for one of my most favorite pair of shoes.. Tan, patent stilettos, pointed toe and all.. They literally go with anything. One of the first things we learn in the "pageant world" is that legs look longer when you match your shoes to your legs. True business. Still, I was wearing pants, so that lesson isn't technically relevant. Anyways, as the focus of the outfit was on the contrasting blues, and the statement jewelry, I didn't want to take away from the outfit by distracting with a flashy shoe. These are perfect. Again, Nine West, about a 3" heel. Unbelievably comfortable, and were broken in in no time. The patent is essential. Totally dresses up any outfit.

So let's go clockwise.. starting with the man on my left. Two thumbs up.. Simple, professional, yet utilitarian black shoes, and matching "big boy socks." 'Nuff said.

Next.. I need serious slow breathing to get through this one. Not ok. Let's state the obvious.. Come on with the gym socks. That is never ok. This is a private lawyer.. No excuses for white socks. Note also, this person always crosses his legs so that not only do the socks show, but significant amounts of leg hair as well. Lord help me. Additionally, these are black shoes, made of Lord-knows-what-material (not leather at least..). This means they don't even have the opportunity to be shined. Poor things. And his suit, like mine, was navy. The debate on black shoes with a navy suit is to be had on a later day. Today, it was the wrong choice.

Moving right along. Note the next woman was the third of five in the room also wearing a navy pantsuit.. Overall, the sandals are acceptable. Note, the only reason I feel this way is because she had a fresh, French pedi. However, I personally feel that sandals have no place in the court room. Correction: Toenails have no place in the court room. One minor exception is a well-chosen peep-toe pump in the warmer months.

Finally.. black flip-floppy slides.. Again, I really feel a closed-toe, closed-back heel would have suited both of these ensembles better. I think these may have gone a little far.. I really don't want to see so much foot. And you should never be taking your shoes off during negotiation sessions.. that's gross and wrong.

So that's that for today. I think I've opened the Pandora's box when it comes to male footwear in the legal setting.. more on that next time.